The old lighthouse was located on the door of the walled enclosure that gave exit to the port. The current one is located in the vicinity, at the entrance of the port.
The primitive lighthouse was designed by Francisco García de Sola and Rafael de la Cerda and came to replace the old lantern that until 1850 illuminated the area of adjacent lows and facilitated the entrance to the Guadalquivir. In the form of a tower, placed on the walls and at a height of 15 meters above sea level, it projected a white light at a distance of 9 miles. It was electrified in 1943 increasing its range to 12 miles.
The current lighthouse on the project of Francisco Cebrián was inaugurated in 1980. Its concrete shaft is cylindrical and with a height of 27 meters. Its illumination based on a lamp with irregular incandescent crystals, projects a light to 16 miles of distance.
January 20th, 2017
Viewed 1,709 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 06/07/2023 at 3:49 PM